The human body is a marvel of nature’s engineering. The compact set up of many organs, cells, tissues, systems and glands working in tandem and synced manner keeps it going day after day. Like the many glands in the human body, we are all blessed with a pair of adrenal glands which rest on top of our kidneys. One might ask a few questions about these adrenal glands.
What are adrenal glands?
As has been mentioned above, these glands rest above the kidneys. The pair of them are responsible for providing and secreting into the human body, adrenaline which makes us ready to face any situation, be it stress, fight or flight. The glands release Glucocorticoids like Hydrocortisone and Corticosterone which are important and regulate how carbohydrates, fat and proteins are converted to energy in the body and regulates the cardiovascular functions and blood pressure, immune responses and allergic or inflammatory reactions.
What are the consequences if the glands don’t function properly?
If the glands don’t work properly or are undergoing adrenal fatigue, it would give way to many diseases or illness in the human body.
* Addison’s disease: situation where there is not enough production of cortisol, a hormone responsible for stress response and regulating blood glucose
* Cancer of adrenal
* Cushing’s syndrome: An antonym of the Addison’s disease it is characterised by excessive production of cortisol leads to obesity, menstrual problems, hypertension, excessive hair growth and emotional turmoil.
* Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
What is adrenal fatigue?
As the name suggests, adrenal fatigue is a result of glands functioning below their normal levels as a result of excessive and long periods of stress or due to some acute and chronic diseases. The symptoms are not external and hence that makes it tough to recognize of pin point the problem. People who suffer from the syndrome tend to feel unwell and low and try to pep up themselves by excessive consumption of beverages that have stimulants.
The syndrome is caused due to excessive stress as suggested above and sometimes due to improper diet or lack of nutrients that are vital and crucial to the production of the many hormones, enzymes and Glucocorticoids by these glands. Making a change to the food and diet can help rectify the situation.
What are the best supplements for Adrenal fatigue?
It is important to mention here and understand that any disease and health problem should be diagnosed and confirmed by the doctor. Once your medical practitioner affirms the problem, it is important you use some of the best Adrenal support supplements in this situation.
* Ashwaghanda: A much more scientific name is adaptogen and it helps the reinstate or recover the ability to fight stress.it helps reduce anxiety and induce peaceful sleep.
* Magnesium: It is important for manufacture of the enzymes and hormones in the body and hence its deficiency could be at the core of the problem. Consult your doctor and ensure you get enough magnesium so that the balance can be restored and fatigue can be overcome.
* Vitamin C: This vitamin is needed for the production of aldosterone, norepinephrine, epinephrine, and dopamine – and the synthesis of testosterone, and cortisol, all enzymes and hormones manufactured by the pair. Any deficiency in Vitamin C can lead to trouble for the glands.